The District of Columbia Department of Mental Health (DMH) is receiving applications for part-time transition specialist positions to work with patients at Saint Elizabeths Hospital who are preparing to reintegrate into the community. The Department is actively seeking self-identified current or former users of mental health services. Family members who have cared for someone with mental health conditions also are encouraged to apply.
DMH is holding an informational meeting at 1 pm, Tuesday, September 21, in Conference Room B, 4th Floor, 64 New York Avenue NE, for interested applicants.
Transition specialists are part of an initiative that works with Saint Elizabeths long term patients and patients with multiple admissions whose treatment plans call for community based treatment and supports. Transition specialists participate with treatment teams to provide information on social development and functioning, activities of daily living (self-care, living situation, nutrition, money management), and family structure and relationships.
Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED and must have completed a DMH peer advocacy course within the last calendar year. Other requirements:
- Demonstrated proficiency in reading and writing
- Full or part time paid or voluntary work experience (not necessarily consecutive)
- Ability to establish trusting relationships with individuals with mental health or mental health and other co-occurring conditions such as substance abuse
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, if necessary
The deadline for submitting an application is close of business, Tuesday, September 21, 2010. For more information, contact Alvin Hinkle, Chief of Continuity of Care, on (202) 741-0822 or [email protected].