Media Contact: Phyllis Jones
(202) 673-1937 (desk) 202. 631.3077 (mobile)
The District of Columbia Department of Mental Health is accepting applications for a part-time transitional specialist position. Self-identified current or former users of public mental health services or family members who have cared for someone with a mental health illness are encouraged to apply.
The primary responsibility of a transitional specialist is to offer peer support to individuals in care at Saint Elizabeths Hospital before and after discharge. The transitional specialist supports independence and community integration by helping to build coping and community adjustment skills, including money management and social networking.
The Department of Mental Health is holding an informational meeting about the position from 2 pm to 5 pm, Friday, October 14, 2011, 609 H Street NE, Conference Room 340.
Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED and should have completed a peer related recovery course, such as WRAP or BRIDGES, within the last calendar year. Other requirements:
- Able to establish trusting relationships with individuals with mental health or mental health and other co-occurring conditions such as substance abuse
- Full or part time paid or voluntary work experience
- Able to work independently and as a member of a team
- Able to work evenings and weekends, if necessary
- Demonstrated proficiency in reading and writing
Resumes along with two letters of reference must be submitted no later than 2 pm Tuesday, October 18, 2011, to Rossene Minard by email at [email protected] or by fax to (202) 673-2192. For more information call (202) 673-4376.