Washington, DC—The Department of Behavioral Health is offering a limited number of scholarships to attend the 2015 National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) National Conference from July 5-July 9, 2015 in San Francisco, California. The scholarship will cover the conference registration, airfare and hotel costs.
NAMI is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. The NAMI Convention program includes:
- Top-notch researchers and clinicians providing information and tools to advance and sustain recovery from mental illness.
- People living with a mental illness and their families providing their own important perspectives on recovery.
- The country’s keenest minds and savviest policymakers offering strategies and tactics to effectively advocate for changing the mental health system in our nation.
- Abundant networking opportunities so we can learn from each other about how we can improve the lives of all people living with mental illness and their families.
- Inspiration, innovation and an exhilarating experience with peers.
To be eligible to apply for a scholarship, an applicant must be a either an individual who is in recovery from mental health or co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders—and self-identifies as a consumer—or a family member of an individual in recovery from mental health or co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders. An applicant also must be at least 18 years of age and a District resident.
The deadline to apply is 12 noon, Friday, May 22, 2015. Click here for an application. The completed application, along with a written statement on why you want to attend the conference and two letters of reference can be emailed to the Department of Behavioral Health (DBH) at [email protected]. The application and other documents also can be delivered in-person or mailed to the Department of Behavioral Health, Attn: Melinda Hasbrouck, Office of Consumer and Family Affairs, 64 New York Avenue NE, 3rd Floor, Washington, DC 20002. No facsimiles (faxes) will be accepted.
No applications will be considered after May 22, 2015. Recipients will be notified by 5 pm, Friday, May 29, 2015. Applicants who receive a scholarship must submit a written essay about their experiences at the convention.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact Melinda Hasbrouck at [email protected] or (202) 671-2894. For more information about NAMI, visit www.nami.org, and for more information about the 2015 NAMI National Convention, visit http://www.nami.org/convention/hpm.
For information about mental or substance use disorder treatment and support, call 1-888-793-4357 any time or day or visit www.dbh.dc.gov.