Washington, DC—The District of Columbia Department of Behavioral Health is receiving applications from current or former users of mental health services for part-time transitional specialist positions to work with individuals in care at Saint Elizabeths Hospital who are preparing to reintegrate into the community. A family member who has cared for a person with mental illness also will be considered.
The Department is holding a meeting at 11 a.m., Friday, September 25, 2015, to provide required contract documents and to receive applications. The meeting will be held in Room 218, at 64 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC. To be considered, an application must be submitted by 12 noon, Monday, September 28, 2015.
A transition specialist participates with the Saint Elizabeth treatment team to provide information on social development and functioning, activities of daily living (self-care, living situation, nutrition, money management), and family structure and relationships.
A successful applicant must have a high school diploma or GED or must have taken a peer advocacy course offered by the Department of Behavioral Health within the last calendar year. An applicant also must have:
- Demonstrated proficiency in reading and writing
- Full or part-time paid or voluntary work experience (not necessarily consecutive)
- Ability to establish trusting relationships with individuals with mental health and/or co-occurring conditions
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Able to work evenings and weekends, if necessary, and
- Personal experience and/or knowledge of recovery
For more information or for required contract documents, please contact Meredith Alexander, Contract Specialist, on (202) 673-4377 or at [email protected]. To be considered, a completed application must be submitted by 12 noon, Monday, September 28, 2015, to Contracts and Procurement Services, Attn: Meredith Alexander, 64 New York Avenue, NE 2nd Floor, Washington, DC 20002.